For the month of July, I will be working with a microfinance firm, Faulu Kenya, in Nairobi, Kenya. Along with colleagues, Jen and Patrick, through International Business Students Global (IBSG), I will embark on my first African adventure!


Friday, July 29, 2011

Final Note

Working with Faulu has been an enriching and life-changing experience for me. This internship has exposed me to means of opportunity creation that foster grassroots empowerment and poverty alleviation. Every day when I returned from the group meetings, I realized more and more that giving people credit without the strain of collateral is such a profound way of changing their lives for the better. Although microfinance may not be the panacea for ending poverty, it is the most effective process I have seen for lessening the devastating effects of poverty here in Kenya.

This trip has also enlightened me to the importance of grassroots empowerment. Sometimes all people need is the opportunity and the encouragement of credit, to help them build and control capital, so they may pull out of poverty. For once the poor are empowered, they are the most determined and ambitious fighters I have witnessed, as they struggle to better their lives and improve their country. As microfinance provides people with the opportunity of credit, it is an essential tool if we wish to eliminate poverty in the world. The right to credit should be a human right available to all, in order to promote development and growth throughout the world.

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to come here and work with Faulu. The experience has really opened my eyes to new opportunities, and has helped me to recognize that international development is my true passion where I can make my biggest contribution to the world. Thank you to all who have supported me in this venture. I couldn’t have done it without you!

We depart home for the states this Saturday, and I cannot believe how fast this month has flown by. I will deeply miss Nairobi and the Kenyan culture. I will miss haggling for bargain prices in the markets, and taking tea, delicious African tea with milk and spices, multiple times a day. I will miss the mango juice freshly squeezed to order, and the challenge of climbing into a matatu (14 passenger bus) with high heels on. But mostly, I will miss all the wonderful people I have had the pleasure of working with, especially all of my new friends at Faulu. Nairobi has had a huge impact on me, and I hope to return to Nairobi in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment