For the month of July, I will be working with a microfinance firm, Faulu Kenya, in Nairobi, Kenya. Along with colleagues, Jen and Patrick, through International Business Students Global (IBSG), I will embark on my first African adventure!


Sunday, July 17, 2011

Kibera

Just because a place is compromised doesn't mean that the people are compromised. Kibera is the largest slum in Kenya, and the poorest place in Africa. At first glance, the poverty level is stunning. Rubbish overflows the streets, and people live in metal shacks without shoes and sanitary water. The place looks completely destitute and hopeless. But I have quickly learned that the people are not hopeless. In fact, the people are hopeful and vibrant with energy as they go about their business trading and bartering with each other. They have accepted who they are and have feasible aspirations for where they want to go. Many are planning for the future, and after a hard struggle, many will reach their goals. I have found that social mobility is more accessible here in Kenya than in the states. Once people get their foot out of the slums, it is easier here for them to achieve financial stability.

As for life in the slums, beside the trash filling the streets and the stench from a lack of sewage, the slums are full of life. People not only have successful businesses here but also make efforts to create homes with decorations and music. The people overall also seem happier and more optimistic than the poor and homeless I have come across in the states. I'm not saying that these people don't struggle, because they do. Very much so! They are very poor and can hardly make ends meet. Many will die from diseases and hunger. But they are so resourceful with what they have, and have created a strong and united community. And through hard work, many will in fact leave the slums and retire well.

Here are some pictures of Kibera, where I spend most of my day working.




1 comment:

  1. You are inspiring...keep the positive going.
    I give to a microfinance online company called kiva.org It's such a great solution.
    Again...I'm proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete